1. Research – good research is significant to buying a good dress. Take your time, check through some magazines to get a fair idea of styles, go through the Internet to find out about any sale schemes and discounts. Collect brochures and pamphlets from the shops that sell bridesmaid dresses. Good knowledge can prevent you from making a big big mistake.
2. Make a checklist – this saves your time and energy. Give time to decide on the colour, style, cut, length and most importantly THE BUDGET. Do not let the owner sweet talk you into buying a dress you simply can’t afford. Also when buying a cheap dress, discount’s come in very handy but beware of false promises and bad fabric to compromise with.
3. Go shopping – do not get anxious and remember hurrying will create worry. Plan the buying of the bridesmaid dress, do this in advance. Decide on no more than 2-3 shops at one go. Always wear the dress to have complete idea of the look. Take someone along with you who can be trusted. One who knows your personality and can give you a good opinion. Keep an open mind; try everything but buy a dress in which you feel comfortable and your own self. The dress is a reflection of your personality.
4. Final Order – this is the time when you need to take most caution. Place the order very carefully, put everything in writing. Give measurement to a professional otherwise a wrong measurement can ruin the dress. Also openly talk about alterations required in the dress. Check with the firm or the dress designer. Avoid taking the dress without proper identity even if they are offering cheap prices. They might just sell you polyester claiming it to be silk. Write the complete details of the transaction on the receipt. Fix a day for final trial.
5. Law– Do not is an ignorant consumer. Know your rights. Always pay by credit card, so as to have a record of your transaction. This is the best defense you can have against any fraudulent shop owner. There are laws to save you in such a situation. Do not sign any sort of contract. To avoid such problems, do not go for a completely new shop. Try a tested and tried shop of the town or on the Internet. In case of receiving a damaged dress or some unfulfilled promise, instead of spoiling your day shrieking, take them to law and save your day.
Being a bridesmaid is a matter of honor and a responsible duty. You need to look great, complement the bride and help her on the most anxious moment of the life. So prepare yourself with great care for this day for you need to put your best foot forward.